Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Saying Goodbye

Seven years ago, the very, very first time I pulled into my driveway, Mr. Sammie was standing in the alley chatting.  He was the first neighbor I met...I remember getting out of my car & walking over to introduce myself & little did I know, right then we started a tradition.  Countless times would my family & Sammie & his wife Lois meet in our driveways and visit, passing the afternoons getting to know each other and endearing ourselves to one another.  Sammie was quick to help us if ever we needed anything, and almost immediately he & Lois adopted our kids as their own grandkids, calling themselves our "bonus" grandparents.  We felt the same...Macy loved to go over to their house when she was little & watch cartoons with Sammie & brush their dog Bullet.  And always, always the kids come home with M&Ms in a little baggie.

Sammie passed away on Sunday and our little group of neighbors are struggling to deal with the loss.  He was kind and friendly to all of us and our driveway conversations will never be the same.  I know that I will always look at his "tinkering" garage and miss seeing him, miss hearing his voice.  I loved hearing him greet me with a "Hey girl, whatda ya know?" or saying "Well, shoot!" in that raspy, kind voice that always had a hint of a laugh in it.

How do you sum up a person?  It's impossible to capture all that they were in something as menial as words.  We are left with the memories and the space in our lives and each other.  We will miss this great man...

2 comments:

Welcome! said...

I am so sad :( Hope the kiddos are doing alright... such a big thing to understand.

Keri said...

You guys formed such a sweet friendship with Sammie and Lois. I am so sorry for your loss.