Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A First but a Last

I have found in life that lasts are most of the time harder for me than firsts. For example, when Macy started Kindergarten, I thought I would cry & carry on-don't get me wrong, I did shed a few tears that day, but her last day of Kindergarten was a lot more emotional for me, realizing that the little kid, fantasy, playing at the home center & taking rests in the afternoon part of her life was over. Sometimes, some of what makes a "last" hard is when it passes without you knowing it-every so often, I look back & realize I haven't heard that precious, mispronounced word lately or wonder things like when was the last time Jack squeezed my finger instead of holding my hand. Lasts bring me to the reality that the kids are growing up & I just want to keep them little & innocent & safe!
Last night was a big night for Jack...he finally got his big boy bed (I know, I know, it's about time! See previous comment about wanting them to stay little) & he was so excited. All afternoon he asked when he could go to sleep & if he was going to get to sleep in his big bed forever. He did great of course-he's been ready for this for at least 6 months, but I am the one that had sappy trouble. As we were deconstructing his crib, I was taken back to my memories of us putting that crib together, being pregnant & wondering what this little boy was going to be like-it seems like it was yesterday!
He didn't want us to take out his rocker-he loves to be rocked, & again, who can resist a cuddly little boy that asks "Can jue wock me just a widdle bit?" And, I didn't either because the night before when I was putting him to bed, I didn't know it would be the last time we would have that familiar bedtime routine-I didn't know to savor the cuddles & rocks.
Ah, life comes at you fast...


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Keri said...

awwwwww. way to make me cry. I love his sweet smile on his bed. What a precious little guy!

Tera said...

Amy!!!!! I was a little emotional today, why did you have to do that!! You need to write a book girl! Bentley was 2 years 11 months before she got a big girl bed. We did transform her crib to a toddler bed, but that really didn't count! Trust me, only having one is really making me cherish every single moment I have with her!