Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It Counts

A common topic of discussion with moms of little ones is where do I fit in quiet time with the Lord, or Bible time, or even prayer time.  I am most curious about this because I am NOT a morning person & have decided after 35 years of not being one (well, my mom might disagree-apparently I'm paying for my early morning toddler years), it's never going to happen.  So, when do I get my time with the Lord?

I mean, I say bedtime prayers with the kids & every morning in the car on our way to school I help the kids pray.  They take turns picking the prayer & then we have our prayer intentions.  It's actually a great time for the kids to pray because they can't get squirmy or distracted by toys.

So, back to my dilemma...I thought I would try AGAIN to get up early & have my quiet time, starting today.  And, wouldn't you know it...I had just opened my eyes & here come 2 kids, awake 30 minutes early.  So that's when it all hit me.

My time with God can include the kids.


In fact, it probably NEEDS to!  It doesn't have to be "quiet".  So, instead of getting all worked up and giving up on some time in the Bible, we all got out of bed (& made them for a change), got dressed, & had time to read from the Psalms before going to school.


I also realized (thank you Holy Spirit) that my prayers that I offer with the kids during bedtime or while I'm driving them to school "count"...for some reason I have always discounted that time as if it wasn't "real" prayer.  I don't know why-I always put my heart into that time, so why wouldn't it?

What a way to start the day...

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love it! I know we all want some alone time, and for moms, that's tough. But also remember the seeds that you are planting in those young, growing hearts. For them to see you (and join you) in prayer and Bible time is invaluable! Keep up the good work :)

Joshua R. said...

I personally enjoy Scripture...and that coffee cup you had with your Scripture. :-)

nana said...

MeMe,
When you have babies, your life IS a prayer, each time you wipe a dish or a tear, comfort or feed, cradle or carry, you are doing His work with the hands of a mother, the most perfect prayer that exists on earth. Don't ever beat yourself up for not spending quality time with the Lord, He is before you every minute of each day in dirty faces, happy smiles, sweet words, even fussyness. "I take my daily cross. I welcome the monotony that often marks my day. My tensions, setbacks and cares, remind me often that in carrying my crosses I carry Yours with you. I willing accept my weaknesses, irritations and moods, my headaches and fatigue all my defects of body mind and soul because they are Your will for me.
Give me strength to struggle after You." There is no more perfect prayer than action. When your babies are grown and it seems like a life time away, you will have time to get up early to read your bible, to meditate, to pray, but now you are all those things wrapped up in life. Blessed God given life. Rejoice and be glad.
xoxo Me