Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Time for a Bath

This picture represents a lot of love times three...three of our kids have blankies.  And I always swore that would pick their lovey item and that it would not be a blanket dragging in the dirt behind them.  But, that shows you what I know...the kids have to have their blankie for sleep, for comfort, for warmth.

Jack's blankie never envisioned it's life turning out this way...I think it had early retirement in mind always as it gave up & became tattered & torn early on.  It is, in fact, in a mid-life crisis, finding itself looking nothing like it used to but still holding on to it's glory days.  Lily & Ava's are in it for the long haul though, still looking almost as good as the first time I wrapped their tiny bodies in them.

Along with all that "love" comes a whole lot of smell, and the traumatic day comes along (involving prying out of hands & tears) every so often (I should say not often enough) that the blankies need a bath.

First it's a kiss and hug good-bye.  I'm not kidding.

Then watch and wait...and wait and watch...and bug me about "how much longer???"
Notice in this picture that Ava can't possibly see her blankie but knows she's supposed to be there looking like that because her siblings are!


Then a mid-cycle hug and kiss before throwing them in the dryer.
My favorite part is when they come running to smell that fresh-out-of-the-dryer smell on the blankies.  Jack used to tell me it "smelled warm".

1 comment:

KRS said...

What is on Jack's head? I remember Gus's blankie and the love/hate relationship I had with it - loving how it calmed him down and hated having to keep up with it. It's was so bittersweet as he got older and forgot about it.