Tuesday, May 10, 2011

project 52:18 - an echo

Totally cheating on this picture this week, but it's my project & I'll do what I want to!  The picture is me holding my brother...but the resemblance to Lily is strong.  It is truly fascinating to me to see how families resemble each other-how you can't deny your roots!  And that they pass along, keeping you connected, echoing the past into the future.

Before I was a mom, I was a daughter.  I remember being newly married, working at a part-time job as a student "assistant" & having a conversation with two older women who were mothers.  They were telling me that I just couldn't appreciate and understand the love that my mother has for me until I became a mom.  I was so upset!  I DID appreciate my mom-she was one of my best friends after all, & thought they just didn't have the same relationship with their mothers as I did with mine.  But...you know what?  I think they may have been a little bit right.  Becoming a mother made me look at all the ways I love, cherish, & adore my babies in ways I could never comprehend (who thinks they will accept poopy diapers readily before they get the chance?) and realize that my mom felt all these same things for her babies & that I was-and am-so very, very loved.  

When I became a wife I was blessed with another mother...though she didn't raise me as a child, she's helped raise me as a wife.  And, I know she loves me very, very much!

To my mother...and my mother-in-love (not law)...thank you for all your love.  And Happy (belated) Mother's Day.


1 comment:

Gia said...

So true, so well written and I am so blessed to have you in my life.
Love this project!