Friday, October 14, 2011

Perfect Timing

We were missing the mountains and it happened that my husband could take a long weekend, so we decided to make the journey up there.  Thinking we might get to see some fall foliage, but never guessing that we picked the perfect weekend to be there, we were in for the most beautiful fall weekend we have spent in years.  The mountains looked as if they were on fire-they were breathtaking, beautiful, awesome.  The weather was perfect-cool, but not freezing, and just made for long walks & hikes up the mountains.

Even before we got to our destination, God gave us a glimpse of what was in store...He prepared a very magnificent sunset for us to gaze upon.
 I see the moon...the moon sees me...goodnight moon...goodnight me.

And in the morning, stepping out onto our deck...we took in this.  Wow.



The little town that is usually void of people after Labor Day was teeming with crowds...all of us there for this reason.
Who could resist a drive in the mountains when they look so beautiful?  There were people stopped everywhere, all along the roads, taking pictures-everyone from cell phones to point-&-shoots to professionals with tripods.

One of the afternoons, we loaded up and went for a hike up a big mountain...making it as far as the little ones could go.


This one could hike up to the top-I feel sure.  She has amazing strength & stamina.  She also carried her littlest sister part of the way because said sister was throwing fits & refused to walk.  Macy helped give me a break!

Jack becomes quite the shutterbug up in the mountains-it's rather funny.  About every 20 steps he stops, poses, & says "Mom!  Take a picture of me!"  Ordinarily he runs from the camera, so I take advantage of the face time.

Lily didn't mind walking, just would get tired easily...so she hitched a ride some.

This is where we made it to...an overlook where you can see for miles and miles in both directions.  It's amazing how high up you are-the mountains waaay in the background of this picture are about 60 (or more, I'm terrible with distance) away.

Her ears do this always.  It's her signature look.  I think it is the funniest, most charming thing.  Brooke loved the walk, the smells, barking at unknown objects, animals, and people.  It was actually very comforting to have her there.  Not that she could take down a bear or mountain lion, but we felt she would give fair warning at least!


Words just couldn't describe the beauty and over & over again, we kept saying "Wow, this is amazing."




3 comments:

Keri said...

Beautiful!!! And I see that the sweater made the trip as well. Gotta love Matt and his sweater!! ;)

Boppie said...

Your blog always makes my eyes water. I miss touching, holding, squeezing every one of you when I see all the pictures. The foliage was beautiful but I can hardly see it for all the sweet faces.

Evon203 said...

Such a special post Amy. Loved this. The colors are beautiful and makes me miss that mountain air. What stood out to me the most, though are all the smiles on those precious faces. I loved the picture of Jack, who I can't believe, is almost 6! Miss you all.