Wednesday, October 12, 2011

project 52:39 - a gift

Allowing yourself to take pleasure in the gift of holding a sleeping child...that is beautiful.


I would classify myself as a "busy" mom-I always see what needs to be done instead of letting things pass.  Many times, when I go to play with one of the kids in their room, I find myself after about 5 minutes of playing, picking things up & cleaning their room!  In fact, I used to (maybe still do some?) take pride in the fact that we have trained all our kids to put themselves to sleep-very handy when you have "stuff to do".  But then there's Ava...sweet Ava is such a cuddly baby & has taught me so much more.  One thing being how dear it is to actually have a child fall asleep in my arms (the rest of them never would) & to stop for a minute-take a time out-and just be still and quiet and think and smell this sweet head.  


I think one of the neatest things about having more and more kids is that each time you get to put into practice all the things you've learned-we are different parents than when we started this rodeo.  Don't know that we are better at it, but just different.  And it's fun.  So many of my (& our) philosophies & ways of doing things have changed, shaped not only by experience but also through the wisdom of other moms (& dads!) and that's pretty cool too.


Just reminding myself to stop...put on the blinders and not let special ordinary moments pass without notice.

No comments: