Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Surprise Family Reunion

My husband & I like to do things spontaneously...often.  We have been known to buy vehicles, go on trips, paint things, with very little warning.  We do think about it first, it's just that it doesn't take us a lot of hashing over to come to a decision.  Like this past weekend-we decided to go to the mountains for an extended weekend 3 days before we left.  Some would say that it's because I'm a tad bit impatient (no comments from mom or husband needed).  I will admit I don't like to look forward to things for very long periods of time.  Wonder where Jack gets it...

ANYways...another example of our spontaneity-we decided an hour before it started to go to my paternal grandmother's family reunion a few weekends ago (3 hrs away).  I'm so glad we did.  The family that was there was so much fun to talk to & see-some of them I hadn't seen since I was a little girl.  My grandma's sister was there, the one that I remember thinking as a little girl was just like my grandma.  And, I admit it was so emotional seeing her.  She told stories, sang songs, bonded with Macy (Macy said when we left that she was pretty sure she was a lot like Gerry because they both liked horses & dogs & singing-kindred spirits), and reminded me of what my grandma used to be like.  There were my dad's cousins & they were lots of fun to talk to-it's neat to make a connection with someone who knew your dad growing up.  And, a couple of cousins from my generation were there too, Denise that I remember playing with at these very reunions when we were little!  Now we have kids of our own!



The day was such a blessing.

(My disclaimer:  The other side of me is the side that meticulously plans things, sometimes-often?-to a fault.  Dear hubs was making fun of me & my mother because we already have planned out when to have this baby, when Nana will be here, where the kids will go, what she will cook...and I'm not due until March. It's all about balance in your life, right?)


Happy spontaneity to your life...or perfectly laid plans.

No comments: