Wednesday, November 17, 2010

By Request

Ok, the mommies & I were talking today...and I promised to take pictures of my baby wipes, with directions.  This isn't something I came up with, I just looked around on the internet...but my main motivation was because Lilybug has VERY sensitive skin (with horrible eczema) & always had diaper rash.  Once I started using the homemade wipes her baby bottom cleared up!

I have several friends that use cloth diapers & I admire them-after making my own wipes, I would even consider making the switch completely but at this stage in the game, it doesn't make sense to me.  That said, using cloth wipes is a breeze, saves some money & will really help with diaper rashes!!

So, in true Pioneer Woman fashion (though not anywhere as beautiful as hers!), I'm including photos with my directions...starting with the wipes.  The easiest, fastest thing to do is buy the Gerber 8 pk of washcloths.  These are the thin ones that come packaged like this:
The cheapest thing to do is make your own out of flannel.  Plus, they are cuter & we all know that's important when it comes to wiping babies bottoms.  This might be a good time to point out that you might like darker fabrics or ones with a print because they can become stained (why did I pick the yellow one??).
You can buy a quarter of a yard of flannel & make either 6 or 8 (can't remember) washcloths for a little over a dollar.  Just cut them in either 8x8 or 9x9 squares (I think the 8x8 fits better in the case) & sew around them with a sewing maching-I used the serger-like setting on my machine but I think zig-zag would work.  Some sites talked about doubling the fabric, but I left mine a single layer of fabric-again, it was easier to make & I like the thinner feel.

They fit perfect in your wipes case that you already have!!  However, the pop-up function will be disabled.  Heehee...



Next, you have to have a convenient way to keep up with the dirties.  I have this hanging by the changing table so that putting the dirty ones in there is easy.  It's a small wet bag that you might use for cloth diaper changes away from home.  You can get them at Amazon as a two pack in different colors for $10.  I like having two because I have 2 complete sets of wipes.  One that I'm using & are in the wet bag, then another complete set washed & ready to go so that in literally 1 minute I have wipes ready.  Depending on the age of your baby, you will need more or less wipes-I would estimate that I have 20 in each stack & go through them within a couple of days now that I only have 1 baby bottom to wipe.  If you have too many wet at a time, they get musty.

 It has a drawstring on it so that it stays closed & there is absolutely NO odor.


As for the solution...there are SO many "recipes" out there!  I chose a simple one & modified it.  Diaper Jungle had a bunch of them if you are interested.  I take a very precise measuring tool-my kitchen tablespoon-for measuring.  Haha!

Measure 2 cups of hot water into a container.  (Being hot helps the oil blend)  Then mix 2 tablespoons of baby oil, 1 tablespoon of baby soap together.  

I also throw in a few drops of these-tea tree oil & something else (it was my mom's) that is peace & calming.  The tea tree oil has healing qualities in it as well as helping keep the wipes from smelling musty.
Final notes...when I run out of that stack of wipes, I take the wet bag & dump the wipes into the washer with the bag & do a short wash with laundry soap & a tad bit of bleach (that's more for me than anything)-I never combine this load with anything else simply because it makes folding them a BREEZE.  No sorting out wipes from undies, socks & inside shirts.  It has to be easy or I won't do it!  I also take Clorox spray & sanitize the inside of the wipes container just to keep down the musty smell-not a problem, but I don't want it to become one!

And, I wondered at first what the hubby would think of this switch since he's only ever known throw away everything-he really likes them as well (as much as a man can care about wipes!).  He said & I agree that one usually gets even the big jobs done & it's so easy, it's hardly different than using the throw aways!

Any questions...leave them in the comments & I'll address them!  


4 comments:

Erica said...

Awesome! Thanks for putting it up - and so quickly too! :) I'm gonna send on to my sis who is expecting in May.

Sarah said...

How many wipes do you put in 1 batch? You may have mentioned it but I missed it. (In other words how many wipes will the mixture moisten?)

amy said...

I went back & counted to see how many I have for sure...I have 25 wipes per stack. It lasts about a week, not quite.

Keri said...

Oh good question Sarah I was about to ask the same thing! :)