Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Get Away

Keri & I, because we have the most awesome hubbies around, got to sneak away to the mountains for some time away...mommies need that just once in a great while to keep US awesome.  My husband had suggested it, knowing how beautiful the trees were and seeing it as an opportunity to practice taking pictures.  

So, we take off...turning what is usually a five hour max drive into a seven hour drive, because that's how we roll.  As we are rounding the last turn of the pass into my favorite, quiet little town, we see snowfall in the headlights. And it was...perfect. Not planned, but perfect.

In the dark, we hop out of the car and I am immediately hit with that most glorious smell of the mountains...and I breathe DEEP.  It can't be bottled, or put in a candle, or reproduced right.  You have to GO there to smell the pines and the mountains and the crisp, cold air.  It always makes me think of another favorite little mountain town where my grandparents used to live-fun memories tied to that smell.

So, this is how we started the morning:
 Really, what else do you need?

Did I mention it was cold?  That needle never moved beyond the 40, but it was welcome.  I was tired of the Texas heat (even our Fall has been a tad on the warm side) and couldn't wait to put on my new hoodie and sit by the fire-a LOT.

So, my Fall foliage pictures turned into what?  Winter pictures?  Kind of a combination of the two.  But it didn't matter...I just wanted to take some pictures and have fun!


As a kid, it seemed like we always went to the mountains and I didn't appreciate it then but a seed was planted in my soul and these mountains are my favorite place to go now.  I hope our kids will always love going too!  Eh, they won't have a choice, now will they?!

If a chef's assistant is called a sou chef, is a photographer's assistant called a sou tog?  Just kidding...no matter, Keri was there to help me!  And, she filled the most important role perfectly-being interested!  My sweet husband SO would not have cared to have a discussion with me on what my f-stop was just then & what do I need to change to fix that shot.  It's all good!



I also helped her with a little project she's planning to do...I can't wait to see how it turns out!






After relaxing, watching chick-flicks, painting toes, reading books, and cooking in peace for 2 days, it was time to return to our precious families...and Texas was waiting for us with a beautiful sunset of it's own.

No comments: