Tuesday, September 7, 2010

They know not what they say...

I had a lady meet me in Sams today as I was leaving the bathroom with my 2 little girls say "Man, momma has her hands full! I've been there...and, man do I hope I never have to again!" My first response was to tell her she had NO IDEA, that this was only half of my brood, but I just smiled, looked down & attended to Lilybug.

This isn't the first time someone has said these exact lines to me or to anyone that has more than one child-it's just a response, something to say to make conversation. And I get that. But, does that person actually realize what they are implying when saying that (especially in front of my older kids who are perceptive & understand)?

When you say "I hope I never have to do that again" or "Boy, am I glad to be done with THAT" you are implying several things, mainly that children are a burden not worth bothering your life with. And I'm so sorry that some people think that-I would "burden" my life many, many times over for the joy & blessings children bring-in fact, I thank God daily for all my little "burdens" and hope for more. I don't care that I have to stop in the very middle of my Sams trip to run a toddler to the potty, or that I hardly have 5 minutes to myself or that sometimes (who am I kidding- a lot of times) I feel like I'm losing my mind because I forget everything if it's not written down simply because I have 4 kids that sap my brain power. For payment, I get to hear laughter...lots and lots of laughter and I get to see the world new through a child's eyes, never taking for granted things like bugs and flowers and sunrises and best of all, I get lots of chubby hugs and wet kisses.

So, don't think you are sympathizing with a mom if you feel compelled to say something like that...instead be pro life-tell her how cute her kids are or that they are a blessing...or even something clever like the older gentleman said to me in the parking lot: "What aisle did you find that cutie on? I didn't go down it!"
Now, you'll have to excuse me while I go check on Avacakes...I think I saw her crawling off in a rush with a fly in her mouth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said by a lovely lady who lives the joy of motherhood everyday.
That all mothers could live the joy as you!

Keri said...

God has so abundantly blessed our families with these gifts. So thankful I get to share mine with you and thank you for sharing yours with me!!!